Survival Happiness Interventions Nurturing Education
The SHINE program represents a focus not just on survival – but meaningful survival – along with joy, skilled interventions, with a nurturing caring attitude towards the mother’s, babies and each other as colleagues, with the cornerstone being education.
The key to change is education – measured and focused with all the other elements that create a caring wholistic approach.
To prevent Mothers and babies dying from the top 5 leading morbid conditions of labour and delivery.
The focus is on training Midwives with skills in prevention and skilled timely action in these emergencies in order to save mothers and babies.
Why do women die?
Women die as a result of complications during and following pregnancy and childbirth. Most of these complications develop during pregnancy and most are preventable or treatable.
- Post-Partum Hemorrhage – PPH
- Pre-eclampsia/Eclampsia (Hypertensive Disorders)
- Placental Abruption (usually caused from pre-eclampsia – Eclampisa)
- Sepsis (Infections) Including unsafe abortion
- Prolonged and Obstructed Labour
- Champion Resuscitation Program
This program will be training Nurse midwives, at the Midwife Vision Training Clinic located inside the campus of Amana Regional Referral Hospital. The aim then is to extend to the peripheral clinics that carry out Antenatal care and deliver women in the community. They refer to the hospital and often have delays, difficulty in transfer that delays care leading to poor maternal and neonatal outcomes.
With a final goal training push elsewhere in regional areas in Tanzania and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Midwifes are the key. They conduct the majority of deliveries in Tanzania. They are at the front line of emergency care every day.
This allows Midwives at Amana Regional Referral Hospital to “SHINE” as the leaders in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and Sub-Saharan Africa. Providing gold-standard training and education in maternal and child health; but also allows the Mothers and Babies to “shine” through survival of health and happiness.
Practical Midwife Vision Training Stations
- PPH – Bimanual Compression – Insert Uterine Balloon
- Manual Removal of Placenta
- Breast Feeding
- Shoulder Dystocia
- Perineal repair
- Neonatal Champion Resuscitation -– Warm Dry Stimulate – Air Air Air
- Postpartum Uterus Trainer x 2
- Breastfeeding simulator x 2
- Mama Natalie Birthing Simulator
- Perineal repair model with suture material,